Monday, January 5, 2009

Blog and Essay

What is a blog ? Blogging ? Blogger ?

These and few more related questions were in my mind when I was asked to deliver a talk on BLOG to the group of higher secondary students. I did the job. I found the students much excited throughout the lecture. Frankly speaking, I did not know exactly why? Was it because of my style of the delivery or for it was something new for those pupils coming from the rural areas? I knew it for certain that the information I divulged was of primary nature. Yes, but they enjoyed. That was the nice thing for me to remember.

I am still trying to understand the term in its fullest sense and also to acquaint myself with the world called BLOG and so.

The term has its technical definition. It has its terminology. But just while straying from it, something struck me …

What is an essay ?

Many years back I was reading different definitions for this term. I had to answer at examination. I did not find the definite definition of the term. The definers also put a footnote saying it can not be defined, it would be vague. (Still it is called a definition!) Few things go that way only. In spite of that it provides you good material for understanding the core theme.
So, I recited many definition to obtain good marks, if question paper contained related question, right from … `it is a spontaneous overflow` ….to something like,` ….short piece of writing from an author's personal point of view…`
i.e. anything on literature, art,observations, recollections,reflections … on any topic from personal life to politics, economics to spiritual life.

So, what is blog ? It is an essay !

No comments:

Post a Comment