Sunday, September 27, 2009

Prejudice

I traveled a lot. Mostly by bus. With Volvo and a/c buses, long distance travel has now become much comfortable. Still, I avoided to travel by sleeper bus. Although, I really loved to travel by sleeper coach of the train, I remained prejudiced to take sleeper bus for any of my tours. I never liked the idea to travel by sleeper bus. Few of my friends recommended me to travel by sleeper bus on few occasions. They were all in praise for the comfort they experienced during their travel. I always laughed at the idea, sometimes ridiculed it. I felt the idea to travel sleeping on sleeper –seat with some unknown co-traveler lying next to me, very funny. I could not consume the idea. But, last week I had to travel the way I disliked.

I had to rush to Aurangbad to attend a meeting. Only linking bus available from Kolhapur was sleeper coach! I reserved a seat reluctantly.

It departed from kolhapur at around 9.30 p.m.. Till midnight I just sitting on the seat with window fully open. My co- traveler was telling about the comfort of the sleeper seat. When he found me uneasy, he offered me his mobile handset so I could listen to songs on FM radio. His efforts were to make me at ease. Finally, I did lie on the seat. I was restless initially for few moments. Then I felt it comforting. Rest of journey was beautiful. When I alighted form the bus, I was feeling totally fresh; no sign of wakefulness. I blamed myself for depriving me of such comforting journey earlier.I returned same night. I was so fascinated with the journey earlier night, I tried to get sleeper coach for my travel back home. No sleeper coach was available. I traveled back by Volvo bus. I was thinking during my return journey, why I was so averse to travel by a sleeper coach earlier? Why I was so prejudiced to that?

Really, I do not have any answer how the prejudice was formed and why I nurtured it? This could be a minor thing. But there are many other things, we find ourselves prejudiced to, many a times, without any valid reason or for no reason. Why? It is a mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment